Philippines' Marcos Rejects International Probe On Duterte


(MENAFN- The Peninsula) Bloomberg

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. stood by his position against an international probe on former leader Rodrigo Duterte's drug war, underlining his efforts to keep the ruling alliance intact.

"It's not right for outsiders to tell us who to investigate, who the police will arrest or detain,” Marcos told reporters on Friday. He was reacting to a proposal in the House of Representatives for the government to cooperate with the International Criminal Court's investigation on Duterte's anti-drug campaign that killed thousands.

Read Also
  • Marcos says to meet with Xi to ease South China sea tensions
  • Philippine court grants bail petition of Duterte critic

Marcos earlier this week tamped down speculation on cracks within the alliance that helped him and Vice President Sara Duterte secure landslide wins in last year's elections. In the past months, however, the vice president has been distancing herself from Marcos's cousin and key ally, House Speaker Martin Romualdez.

The vice president and former leader's daughter said in a statement Thursday that allowing the international court to probe her father is "patently unconstitutional” and "degrades our legal institutions.”

Marcos, who earlier this year sought to cut contact with the international court, said on Friday that his administration is studying if it should rejoin the tribunal.

MENAFN24112023000063011010ID1107482498


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.