Dozens Still Stranded After Deadly Turkey Cable Car Accident


(MENAFN- The Peninsula) AFP

Istanbul, Turkey: Forty-three people remained stranded in mid-air Saturday, hours after a pylon supporting cable cars collapsed outside the southern Turkish resort city of Antalya killing one person, rescue services said.

Ten people were injured in the accident, which happened late Friday afternoon, after one cable car in the Sarisu-Tunektepe system plummeted into a rocky area, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said.

A total of 128 passengers were rescued from 16 cable cars but 43 remained stranded by the morning, Turkey's disaster and emergency management agency Afad said.

Seven helicopters and more than 500 rescuers, including specialist mountaineers, were at the scene, authorities said.

The justice ministry said an investigation had been opened into the cause of the accident.

MENAFN13042024000063011010ID1108090134


The Peninsula

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.