India's domination in-home tests continue as they beat New Zealand by 372 runs in the second at the Wankhede Stadium to win the series 1-0. Ravichandran Ashwin took 4/34 while Jayant Yadav picked up 4/49 to wrap up the tail as New Zealand were all out for 167 in the first session, chasing 540 for victory. The host registered its biggest victory in terms of runs with a thumping 372-run victory. Although New Zealand lost the match, this game will always be remembered for Ajaz Patel's heroics. What a Test, the left-arm spinner became only the third player in the history of Tests to pick 10 wickets in one inning.
Mayank Agarwal produced an impeccable show with the bat, scoring 150 and 62 in both innings. He bagged the Player of the Match with 212 runs in the match. Ashwin's 14 wickets and some valuable contribution with the bat in the series earned him the Player of the Series award. Axar Patel delivered with his all-around abilities, scoring his maiden Test fifty, and also bagged three wickets with the ball.
“To come back with a win again, it's a great feeling and a clinical performance. You want individuals to step up. The first Test was good, and it was a clinical performance here. We discussed the performance and the opposition played out a good draw. The bowlers tried all they could but the Kiwi batsmen stuck it out really well in Kanpur. Here there was more bounce and the fast bowlers got assistance as well, so it gave us a better chance to win the Test match on the final day,” said Kohli in the post-match presentation.
Here is a look at the key stats from the India-New Zealand 2nd Test in Mumbai.
1. India beat New Zealand by 372 runs – This is India's biggest Test win by runs.
2. India has won their 14th successive Test series at home. The Men-in-Blue haven't lost a home Test series since November 2012.
3. Virat Kohli became the first player with 50 international wins in each format of the game.
4. Ravichandran Ashwin became the first bowler to complete 50 Test wickets in 2021. He now has 52 wickets from eight Tests at a sublime average of 16.23.
5. Ashwin went past 300 Test wickets at home joining names like Shane Warne, James Anderson, Muttiah Muralitharan, and Anil Kumble. He is only behind Anil Kumble among Indians to take 350 Test wickets at home.
6. Ajaz Patel became only the third bowler in Test history to have taken all 10 wickets in an innings.
7. Ajaz now has the best match bowling figures (Tests) by a bowler against India (14/225).
India's domination at home since 2012
| Series || Number of Tests || Result |
| 2012-2013 – India v. England || 4 || England 2-1 |
| 2012-2013 – India v. Australia || 4 || India 4-0 |
| 2013-2014 – India v. West Indies || 2 || India 2-0 |
| 2015-2016 – India v. South Africa || 4 || India 3-0 |
| 2016-2017 – India v. New Zealand || 3 || India 3-0 |
| 2016-2017 – India v. England || 5 || India 4-0 |
| 2016-2017 – India v. Bangladesh || 1 || India 1-0 |
| 2016-2017 – India v. Australia || 4 || India 2-1 |
| 2017-2018 – India v. Sri Lanka || 3 || India 1-0 |
| 2017-2018 – India v. Afghanistan || 1 || India 1-0 |
| 2018-2019 – India v. West Indies || 2 || India 2-0 |
| 2019-2020 – India v. South Africa || 3 || India 3-0 |
| 2019-2020 – India v. Bangladesh || 2 || India 2-0 |
| 2020-2021 – India v. England || 4 || India 3-1 |
| 2021-2022 – India v. New Zealand || 2 || India 1-0 |
Ashwin Ind vs NZ Mayank Agarwal
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.