(MENAFN Editorial) Ambitious foodie startup HVAR GOURMET announces that it is raising funds via crowdfunding platform KICKSTARTER in order to implement direct delivery of their premium, gourmet, small-batch olive oil. The company set out to raise €10,000 on Kickstarter to purchase bottling equipment (with €7,420 raised to date).
Unlike wine, olive oil does not get better with age, and the closer you are to the pressing, the better the oil quality. This race against time underpins the urgency of Hvar Gourmet's direct-to-customer delivery model. With traditional store bought oil, customers are left with ambiguous harvest dates and often stale oil (sometimes years out from the original harvest); with Hvar Gourmet, customers are provided with a superior fresh-taste experience otherwise unavailable.
There is also a reason why HG is the house olive oil of Hvar Island's #1 restaurant, the world renowned Dalmatino. The lingering, black peppery taste of Hvar Gourmet's oil (due in part to the characteristics of the regional Oblica olive and to a slightly earlier harvest) has gained it a following around the world. It has a pungent taste, low acidity, high levels of polyphenols (healthy antioxidants), and is 100% certified organic — everything you could ask for in an olive oil.
Lastly, the process of Hvar Gourmet's olive oil production is a no holds barred gourmet oriented process. They run a business model that is focused on quality, not corner-cutting, and this has yielded them consistently high-quality results throughout the years. Some examples of the process:
1. October harvest. This is considered "early-harvest" and research has indicated it leads to 4 to 6 times the numbers of polyphenols (healthy antioxidants) vs. conventionally harvested olives. The downside: less oil per kilo of olives compared to later harvests.
2. Handpicked olives. Machine harvesting or using nets on the ground can lead to bruising and premature oxidation of the olives, so they avoid this at all costs. They also NEVER use olives that have already fallen to the ground.
3. 100% certified organic. All of their oil is HR-EKO-02 certified and they don''t use chemicals or sprays.
4. Cold-pressed at room temperature and is left raw and unfiltered.
5. They bottle into attractive UV proof stoneware bottles, offering superior protection to the olive oil (which is easily damaged by UV rays) versus cheaper transparent glass alternatives.
For generations, the Milicic family has been making olive oil on Hvar Island, Croatia, which is incidentally also one of the most beautiful and frequented tourist destinations in Europe. For the last 10 years, the family has been refining their harvesting and olive pressing techniques with their family-owned mill and methodical lab testing. The result: oil that is fresh, pungent, spicy, and packed with antioxidants. Available until October 4th on Kickstarter.
Hvar Gourmet was set up in Hvar, Croatia in 2016 by international foodies Danica Milicic and her fiancé Tom Wessling as an outlet for their family's olive oil and agriculture activities. It has enjoyed early traction with the success of its flagship Zmaj Early Harvest gourmet olive oil.