Tuesday, 21 September 2021 05:29 GMT

S.African beach closed after shark attack


(MENAFN- IANS)

Johannesburg, July 15 (IANS) Authorities in South Africa's Kouga municipalitysaid the beach area in Jeffreys Bay has been partly closed after a surfer was attacked by a shark.

The surfer, from Cape Town, is stable and being attended to by medical staff, the municipality said on its official Facebook page on Wednesday, adding that the victim had been bitten twice, reports Xinhua news agency.

The man aged 40 was attacked while surfing at Jeffreys Bay and suffered puncture wounds to his right leg and torso, Sea Rescue South Africa (NSRI) said in a statement.

The charity, which has rescue bases along the coast, appealed to surfers, bathers and paddlers to be cautious around the Jeffreys Bay coastline.

Jeffreys Bay, located in Eastern Cape Province, is a world-famous surfing spot.

In 2015, Australian surfing legend Mick Fanning managed to escape unharmed by fighting off a great white shark during a surfing contest at Jeffreys Bay.

The incident was broadcast live on television and made headlines around the world.

--IANS

ksk/

MENAFN15072021000231011071ID1102453552


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.