Saturday, 23 September 2023 10:54 GMT

Ukraine looks for ways to get further EU money

(MENAFN) Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmitry Kuleba stated in an interview, published soon when his nation accepted EU candidate status, Ukraine has to learn from Poland how to use EU money “in such a way that they give you even more.”

Informing news channel Levy Bereg, Kuleba quoted a recent talk with a counterpart from “a very influential European country,” who stated he had realized for the first time that the bloc is considering accepting a “huge country” like this, the last nation of similar size to be part of the alliance was Poland, Kuleba’s counterpart said.

Replying to a remark by the interviewer that Poland is still the largest recipient of EU subsidies, the Ukrainian foreign minister declared, “this logic is correct from the point of view of a Ukrainian consumer: Europe, money...”

“By the way, Poland was not flooded with money, Poland learned to take European money and use it in such a way that they give you even more. And this is why we in Ukraine need to learn at the local level, because that’s where the money should go.”

Kuleba noted that it is hard “to find the right argument to explain to every skeptic” why Ukraine should be granted EU candidate status now, saying the decision to do so has meant “a real psychological break” for the EU presidents, as no one in the bloc talked seriously on Kiev’s goals for the previous 3 decades.

The foreign minister refused statements that candidate status will not result in anything, claiming, “I see how mechanisms for working with Ukraine, as a future member of the European Union, are already being deployed at the level of the European Commission.”


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.