Cholera Outbreak In Malawi Has Killed 110 Since March| MENAFN.COM

Friday, 09 December 2022 10:23 GMT

Cholera Outbreak In Malawi Has Killed 110 Since March


(MENAFN- The Peninsula) Reuters

BLANTYRE: Cholera has spread to 22 of Malawi's 28 districts, killing 110 people and infecting 3,891 people since March when the first case was reported, the health minister said on Tuesday.

The first case of the debilitating infection, which spreads mainly through contaminated food and water, was reported in March in the southern district of Machinga.

The disease has since then spread rapidly to other regions of the country, raising alarm that it could worsen at the onset of Malawi's rain season in November and December.

Read Also

Malawi's health minister Khumbize Chiponda said in a statement that most of the deaths occurred because infected people came late for treatment at health facilities.

'The major factors associated with the cholera outbreak in the communities are poor food hygiene, lack of safe water and low latrines coverage and usage (open defecation),' Chiponda said.

MENAFN04102022000063011010ID1104968639


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.