Sunday 6 April 2025 10:21 GMT

7 die in Cameroon suicide bombing


(MENAFN- Arab News) DOUALA Cameroon: A suicide bomber killed seven people and wounded 27 in Cameroon's Far North region Communication Minister Issa Tchiroma said on Friday in an attack suspected to have been carried out by Boko Haram militants.
The militant group wants to establish a caliphate in northeastern Nigeria and its attacks have spilled across the borders of neighboring countries.
'There were two suicide bombers. Only the first bomb exploded' said a local official.
The bomb exploded in Kolofata near the town's stadium said a senior officer in the Cameroonian army. Authorities found a device for the second would-be bomber and are searching for the attacker who fled the scene. Suicide bombings often performed by young women recruited by the extremist group have become regular occurrences in the Far North region.
Along with Chad Niger Nigeria and Benin Cameroon has contributed troops to an 8700-strong regional task force dedicated to fighting Boko Haram although joint operations have yet to begin.
The United States has also sent troops to supply intelligence and other assistance.
Last week Cameroon's army said it had killed 100 members of the group and freed 900 hostages.
The government denies Boko Haram holds territory in Cameroon.


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Search