Tuesday, 02 January 2024 12:17 GMT

'Partisan Propaganda': Trump's Justice Department Wipes Website Of News Releases About Jan 6 Capitol Riot Defendants


(MENAFN- Live Mint) The Department of Justice has confirmed that it has taken down news releases from its website covering criminal cases linked to the January 6, 2021 Capitol riot, describing the material on those prosecutions as“partisan propaganda,” as reported by AP.

The removal of pages detailing charges, convictions, and sentencing outcomes represents another step by the Trump administration in reshaping the official narrative of the Capitol attack, when hundreds of supporters of Republican President Donald Trump stormed the building in an attempt to block the certification of Joe Biden's 2020 election victory.

Also Read | Marco Rubio in India LIVE: Rubio invites PM Modi to White House

Trump, on his first day back in office in January 2025, pardoned, commuted the prison sentences or vowed to dismiss the cases of all of the 1,500-plus people charged with crimes during the Capitol assault, including those convicted of attacking officers with makeshift weapons such as flagpoles, a hockey stick and crutch.

On Monday, the Justice Department announced the creation of a USD 1.776 billion fund meant to compensate Trump allies who feel they were unjustly investigated and prosecuted.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche has not ruled out that rioters convicted of violence will be eligible for payouts, prompting bipartisan anger in Congress.

Also Read | Jan. 6 riot 'does not happen' without Trump, says Jack Smith

After a journalist on Friday observed on the social media platform X that the Justice Department was "quietly" removing news releases on its website that were related to the January 6 attack, including about a Texas man who pleaded guilty to assault and also faced separate state charges of soliciting a minor, the department responded through its "rapid response" account that there was "nothing 'quiet' about it."

"We are proud to reverse the DOJ's weaponisation under the Biden administration. We will do everything in our power to make whole those who were persecuted for political purposes," the post said.“This includes stripping DOJ's website of partisan propaganda.”

Also Read | Tech leaders ask 'why' as Trump forces Green Card applicants to leave US

Among the releases removed from the site were those concerning seditious conspiracy cases against members of the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, far-right extremist groups.

The Justice Department, in an unopposed motion last month, asked a federal appeals court to vacate those seditious conspiracy convictions, a request that was granted Thursday.

The department on Friday moved to dismiss the cases against the group members.

(With inputs from AP)

Key Takeaways
    The removal of news releases reflects a significant shift in the Justice Department's approach to the Capitol riot narrative. The decision has sparked bipartisan anger, raising concerns about justice and accountability for the rioters. The establishment of a compensation fund for Trump allies signals a potential change in how political prosecutions are handled.

MENAFN23052026007365015876ID1111158310



Live Mint

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Search