(MENAFN) In the Catalan city of Girona on Friday, a live scientific experiment ended tragically when a drum of liquid nitrogen burst, injuring 18 people, according to local media. There were ten kids among the injured.
In front of over 300 onlookers, the event happened at the University of Girona on Friday night. The experiment, which entailed combining boiling water and liquid nitrogen—a procedure that often results in clouds of water vapor—was set up by well-known scientist Dani Jimenez.
Nevertheless, when his helper poured water into the liquid nitrogen drum, there was an explosive reaction that spat metal shards into the crowded area.
Jimenez, who was uninjured, reportedly summoned the emergency services right away. His helper had suffered critical wounds. 18 persons in all, including 10 children, were hurt. The most critically injured youngsters, three kids between the ages of five and twelve, were evacuated to Girona's Trueta Hospital, according to the newspaper.
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.