Tuesday, 02 January 2024 12:17 GMT

Islamabad Is Under Security Lockdown Amid US-Iran Talks Efforts


(MENAFN) Pakistan’s capital remains under heavy security restrictions as authorities continue coordinated diplomatic efforts aimed at reviving negotiations between the United States and Iran, according to reports citing security sources.

Roads leading into Islamabad’s heavily restricted “Red Zone,” which contains key government offices and private facilities—including a five-star hotel that previously hosted earlier US-Iran discussions—remain closed to general traffic.

As stated by reports, all educational institutions and hostels in Islamabad and the nearby garrison city of Rawalpindi have remained shut since last week, while public transportation services, including the metro bus system, continue to be suspended.

Some limited easing of restrictions occurred on Wednesday, when two intercity bus terminals in Rawalpindi were reopened to allow restricted travel, according to reports.

A security official speaking anonymously said law enforcement agencies have been instructed to maintain heightened security measures “until further notice.”

The planned second round of negotiations was expected to take place in Pakistan this week, but Iranian authorities have said they will not participate unless the United States lifts what they describe as an “illegal” blockade of Iranian ports, as stated by reports.

Meanwhile, US officials had indicated they would send a delegation to the talks, reportedly led by Vice President JD Vance.

MENAFN22042026000045017640ID1111017490



MENAFN

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Search