At Least 20 Injured In Bomb Attack In DR Congo| MENAFN.COM

Monday, 30 January 2023 11:13 GMT

At Least 20 Injured In Bomb Attack In DR Congo


(MENAFN- Nam News Network)

KINSHASA, Jan 26 (NNN-XINHUA) – At least 20 people were injured late yesterday, during a bomb attack at a small market in the city of Beni, of the North Kivu province, in the north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), an army spokesman told Xinhua.

Captain Anthony Mwalushayi, spokesman for the Congolese army in the Beni region, said, an improvised explosive device was placed in a bag containing cassava, near a flour milling machine at the market.

The majority of the injured are women who were selling at the market, when the device exploded. At least seven people have been seriously injured, according to the spokesman.

“For the moment we do not have enough details, but the security forces and specialised services sealed off the place of the explosion for investigations,” said Mwalushayi, blaming this tragedy on the rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

“We know, however, that, this is the work of the ADF terrorists,” he noted.

Earlier this month, at least 14 people were killed and about 60 others injuried, when a bomb exploded at a local church in Kasindi, of the North Kivu province. Kinshasa also blamed the attack on the ADF rebels.

The eastern part of the DRC has been troubled for decades by multiple militia groups, in particular rebels of the ADF and those of the March 23 Movement (M23), a common nightmare for countries in the region.– NNN-XINHUA

MENAFN26012023000200011047ID1105478895


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.