UN convoy to try to reach Syria's Ghouta again this week| MENAFN.COM

Tuesday, 17 May 2022 09:38 GMT

UN convoy to try to reach Syria's Ghouta again this week


(MENAFN- Gulf Times) The United Nations said that it planned to send another aid convoy to Syria's besieged enclave of eastern Ghouta on Thursday, after 14 of 46 trucks were unable to fully unload on Monday due to shelling on the town of Douma.

"After nearly nine hours inside, the decision was made to leave for security reasons and to avoid jeopardising the safety of humanitarian teams on the ground," Jens Laerke of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) told a news briefing on Tuesday.
Living underground has become the norm in the rebel-held enclave of 400,000, with some families in basements for the past month, some containing 200 people, said Christophe Boulierac of the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF). At least 1,000 children have been killed across Syria so far this year, he said.

MENAFN0603201800670000ID1096549215


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.