(MENAFN - Arab News) Although it has been a main element in the South American food scenario for many years chia seeds gained popularity in the Western world only recently. It is also known as super food.
Chia seeds are known as meramia in Arabic. The word chia is derived from the origin of these seeds which is Mexico. It can be served with water lemon and sugar as a traditional drink called 'Chia Fresca'.
Benefits of chia seeds:
1. They suck up the water from the body which is a perfect food for those who want to lose weight especially in the stomach area.
2. Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants.
3. Good source of calcium phosphorus manganese copper iron zinc magnesium molybdenum and niacin.
4. They work on stimulating saliva flow which is important in the digestive system.
5. They reduce knee pain strengthen the bones and help in some skin problems.
6. Chia seeds contain a great amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
7. Using chia seeds on a regular basis helps reducing heart and arteries diseases by boosting good cholesterol and fatty acids levels.
8. Leaving chia seeds in a cup of water for 30 minutes forms Gelatin and that is what happens in the stomach when consuming chia seeds which slows the reaction between carbohydrates and enzymes. That controls blood sugar and therefore it is good for those who have diabetes.
9. Chia seeds contain full protein which means they have all the main amino acids. Chia seeds are the only seeds that have full protein.
10. They contain big amounts of fiber and they are used as a treatment for constipation.
Chia seeds and diet:
Recently a lot has been said about chia seeds and their ability to reduce weight while studies debated about this particular effect. However it has become known that these seeds are fiber-rich which make the person feel full. The also control the appetite hence the happiness hormone.
Chia seeds usage:
Chia seeds are consumed whole without grinding them. Chia seeds add a flavor that tastes like nuts. They can be added to honey cocktail homemade cakes milk chicken pancake Okra Molokhia and many other dishes.
Chia seeds' dessert:
This is a delicious way of enjoying Chia seeds that are full of calcium and amino acids that support healthy skin and hair.
cup organic chia seeds.
1 cup unsweetened almond milk.
tablespoon cacao powder.
Stevia extract if needed.
Put chia seeds in a bowl; set aside. Mix the almond milk cacao powder and sugar in an electric blinder until they mix well. Taste the mixture until you get the wanted sweetness. Pour the mixture on the seeds and mix it well. Leave it for at least 10 minutes before you bind it again. Serve it and enjoy the great taste!
Here is the chia seeds juice that can be prepared very easily and helps in obtaining longer and stronger nails:
2 teaspoon chia seeds.
2 handful blueberry.
1 middle mango.
Put all ingredients in the mixer with water except for chia seeds. Mix them carefully. Then add chia seeds and mix again.
The juice can be kept in a can and should be consumed in two days so that it does not lose its nutritional value.
/* ]]> */