Tuesday, 02 January 2024 12:17 GMT

US Says Limited Progress Achieved in Ongoing Iran Negotiations


(MENAFN) US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that negotiations with Iran have made “some progress,” while stressing that discussions remain ongoing and uncertain in outcome.

According to reports, Rubio made the remarks while speaking to journalists in New Delhi after meeting Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He indicated that developments could be announced soon, though he cautioned that no final outcome had been reached.

"There might be some news (on Iran) later today. There may not be. I hope there will be. I am not sure yet. There has been some progress done,” Rubio told reporters in New Delhi following his talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

He added that further updates could emerge within days, but emphasized that the underlying dispute must be resolved decisively.

“There is a chance that maybe later today, tomorrow, maybe couple of days, we may have something to say, but this issue needs to be solved one way or another,” he added.

Rubio reiterated Washington’s position that Iran must not acquire nuclear weapons and linked the negotiations to concerns over uranium enrichment and regional maritime security.

“Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. The strait needs to be open without tolls. They need to turn over their highly enriched uranium. We need to address that issue. We need to address the issue of enrichment.”

Reports indicated that US and Iranian negotiators have been exchanging proposals through mediation channels in Islamabad, focusing on the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz alongside nuclear-related concerns and sanctions relief demands.

In a separate interview with Indian broadcaster NDTV, Rubio reiterated Washington’s stance on Iran’s nuclear program and enrichment activities, saying they must be verified and restricted.

He also emphasized that restrictions on the Strait of Hormuz are unacceptable under international norms.

“The Strait of Hormuz cannot be closed. It is illegal. What they are doing, they are basically threatening and are threatened. Have fired upon commercial vessels.”

Rubio further argued that no state should control or impose tolls on international waterways, accusing Iran of attempting to exert such control.

“It is illegal. It is unlawful under any mechanism for a country to take international waterways and turn it into theirs and charge a toll for it, which is what Iran is trying to do,” he said.

When asked about the possibility of renewed US military action, Rubio said the situation cannot remain in its current state and reiterated that Washington prefers a diplomatic resolution, while warning that the issue would ultimately be resolved “one way or another.”

MENAFN24052026000045017281ID1111160200



MENAFN

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Search