403
Sorry!!
Error! We're sorry, but the page you were looking for doesn't exist.
Concerns Mount Over Conflict, Ebola Outbreak in Eastern DR Congo
(MENAFN) The International Contact Group for the Great Lakes expressed concern Friday over ongoing violence in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo as the country faces a growing Ebola outbreak that is worsening the humanitarian crisis in the region.
The group, which includes representatives from several Western nations and the European Union, warned that continued conflict could obstruct efforts to contain the spread of the disease.
In a joint statement, the organization said the Ebola outbreak has further strained an already unstable situation in the country.
“The ICG urges all parties to the conflict to facilitate efforts to respond to the Ebola outbreak. This threat underscores the importance of regional cooperation to address common challenges,” it said.
Authorities in Democratic Republic of the Congo have recorded a sharp rise in Ebola infections since the outbreak was officially declared on May 15 in Ituri Province. The virus has since spread into North Kivu and South Kivu.
According to figures released by the World Health Organization, approximately 750 suspected infections and 177 suspected deaths have been reported so far. Officials have confirmed at least 82 cases and seven fatalities linked to the outbreak.
Health authorities also identified two imported Ebola cases involving Congolese nationals in neighboring Uganda.
The group, which includes representatives from several Western nations and the European Union, warned that continued conflict could obstruct efforts to contain the spread of the disease.
In a joint statement, the organization said the Ebola outbreak has further strained an already unstable situation in the country.
“The ICG urges all parties to the conflict to facilitate efforts to respond to the Ebola outbreak. This threat underscores the importance of regional cooperation to address common challenges,” it said.
Authorities in Democratic Republic of the Congo have recorded a sharp rise in Ebola infections since the outbreak was officially declared on May 15 in Ituri Province. The virus has since spread into North Kivu and South Kivu.
According to figures released by the World Health Organization, approximately 750 suspected infections and 177 suspected deaths have been reported so far. Officials have confirmed at least 82 cases and seven fatalities linked to the outbreak.
Health authorities also identified two imported Ebola cases involving Congolese nationals in neighboring Uganda.
Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the
information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept
any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images,
videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information
contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright
issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Comments
No comment