Tuesday, 02 January 2024 12:17 GMT

Israeli Forces Continue Interceptions of Gaza Aid Flotilla, Organizers Say


(MENAFN) The Global Sumud Flotilla said Tuesday that Israeli military vessels have continued intercepting and boarding its humanitarian convoy in international waters as it attempts to reach the Gaza Strip.

According to statements from the organizers, Israeli naval units are “illegally boarding” boats in the fleet while the mission proceeds toward its destination. The group said it remains “on high alert” and insisted it would not be deterred.

The flotilla also claimed that 10 aid vessels had managed to continue sailing after what it described as 22 hours of sustained Israeli attacks at sea. Organizers said those boats were approximately 121 nautical miles from the coast of Gaza.

Earlier Tuesday, reports citing an unnamed security source said Israeli forces had already taken control of more than 40 of the 54 vessels involved in the mission and detained around 300 activists.

The latest developments follow a previous wave of interceptions that began Monday, marking the second reported operation against the convoy within 24 hours.

The flotilla reportedly departed from Marmaris last Thursday as part of an attempt to challenge the blockade on Gaza, which has been in place since 2007.

This is not the first such confrontation involving the same initiative. In an earlier episode in late April, Israeli forces reportedly intercepted flotilla vessels near Crete, detaining dozens of activists while other ships continued onward.

MENAFN23052026000045017281ID1111156930



MENAFN

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.