Tuesday, 02 January 2024 12:17 GMT

EU Condemns Treatment of Sumud Flotilla Activists as Unacceptable


(MENAFN) The European Union has strongly criticized the treatment of activists from the Sumud humanitarian flotilla following their detention by Israeli authorities, calling the reported conduct “completely unacceptable.”

According to reports, the comments were made after footage circulated online showing detained activists following the interception of vessels bound for Gaza. The material was linked to Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir.

EU spokesperson Anouar El Anouni said the incident had raised serious concerns, noting that even members of the Israeli government had expressed reservations about the treatment shown in the video.

“The treatment of flotilla’s activists in the video shared by Minister Ben Gvir is completely unacceptable, as also indicated by his own government colleagues,” he said in a statement posted on social media.

He further stressed the obligation to respect international standards for detainees, adding: "Every detained person must be treated with safety, dignity and according to international law."

The EU spokesperson also called on Israel to ensure proper treatment of those detained and to proceed with their immediate release.

The remarks came after organizers of the Global Sumud flotilla reported that all vessels in the aid convoy had been intercepted and seized by Israeli forces during their attempt to reach Gaza.

MENAFN21052026000045017640ID1111149041



MENAFN

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Search