(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) The 7th World Government Summit kicked off in Dubai on Sunday, with more than 4,000 participants from 140 countries.
Heads of state, ministers and government officials will converge on the platform to discuss the world's future over the next two days.
From February 10-12, the World Government Summit will see 600 speakers in more than 200 interactive round table discussions mulling issues in vital sectors. The summit will also host 120 executives from leading international corporations.
The summit began with Mohammad Abdullah Al Gergawi, Minister of Cabinet Affairs and the Future and Chairman of the WGS, and Professor Klaus Schwab, founder and Executive Chairman of World Economic Forum's speech.
Also read: World Government Summit - All you need to know
In an ominous opening speech, Prof. Schwab said 'mother nature is losing patience with us.'
"How will will fourth industrial revolution impact cities? Cities have to create an entrepreneurship-friendly system. Imagination and innovation will drive tomorrow. They will be the key factors of global competitiveness. Cities have to become role models for creativity and they have to create an atmosphere where start ups can flourish. The Government has a role to play in that. Cities have to become a platform; this platform has to be multi-stakeholder." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of World Economic Forum
"I would also safeguard against planning too much today. You have to be agile. Explore and adapt and if something is good, scale it up. "Mother nature is losing patience with us."
6:37pm "Starting next year, the declaration will be a part of the educational curriculum in schools and universities."H.H @ABZayed #WorldGovSummit
- World Gov Summit (@WorldGovSummit) February 10, 2019 "The 'Abu Dhabi Declaration of Human Fraternity' is a historic document of reconciliation, a testament to tolerance, bravery and morality, giving humanity the hope that peace and coexistence are possible." H.H. @ABZayed #WorldGovSummit
- World Gov Summit (@WorldGovSummit) February 10, 2019 "Religions never incite hatred and violence but they have been used throughout history to distort public perceptions by means of extremism and terrorism." H.H. @ABZayed #WorldGovSummit pic.twitter.com/OekYKbnVDM
- World Gov Summit (@WorldGovSummit) February 10, 2019 6:18pm Dr Ferozuddin Feroz, Minister of Public Health of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan was crowned winner of the Best Minister Award at the World Government Summit 2019. (KT Video: Kelly Clarke) https://t.co/8jptdBPNSG pic.twitter.com/Xn9CtN83pj
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 6:00pm Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan made an earnest call on investors to place their faith in the country again as Pakistan is now experiencing an upswing. He said, "This is the time to come to Pakistan. Now is the time to come to the country as we are experiencing an upswing. Pakistan is ready to take off." The recently elected leader spoke at the plenary sessions of the first day of the WGS, congratulating Sheikh Mohammed on establishing a summit like the World Government Summit.
He announced Pakistan has adopted a very ambitious reform programme that is consciously investing in human development by investing in health and education. Khan said the country has begun work on providing investors a platform that makes it easy for them to do business, by improving infrastructure and opening up their visa regime. "A total of 70 countries can now get visa on arrival in Pakistan," announced Khan. The government under Khan has de-politicised police and bureaucracy, and is investing heavily on development of its tourism sector.
#WGS2019 : My biggest lesson from sports has been, you only lose when you give up, @ImranKhanPTI , Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan shared at the summit. #WorldGovSummit @WorldGovSummit #ImranKhan
Live blog: https://t.co/Q3snPOJWUo pic.twitter.com/i9zGhRFyMN
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 #WGS2019 : A fast-growing country filled with optimism and hope, the Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan shares the success story of the nation. @ImranKhanPTI #WorldGovSummit @WorldGovSummit
Live blog: https://t.co/Q3snPOJWUo pic.twitter.com/tL3QUdYIWN
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 5:30pm
5:17pm #WorldGovSummit : "It's 2019 and the new excitement is #AI ; conversational computing is the new frontier," singer https://t.co/wmXRtoDUMh said during a press conference on the sidelines of the summit.
Watch the video to know why he moved from 'rhythms to algorithms'. pic.twitter.com/2B6LP8ZSrk
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 5:00pm #WGS2019 : Women's jobs will suffer most as AI takes hold: Lagarde https://t.co/FM0spEkhOs pic.twitter.com/vTk28SPA3a
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 3:23pm Wellbeing: GDP and beyond. A session on the sidelines of #WGS2019 with @OhoodAlRoumi , Minister of State for Happiness and Wellbeing (KT photo: Kelly Clarke) https://t.co/hBE74HlyjU pic.twitter.com/EHcnUc1yEX
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 2:35pm . @HHShkMohd presents the Best Minister Award to Ferozuddin Feroz, Minister of Public Health in Afghanistan, as part of #WorldGovSummit pic.twitter.com/ApP3eYDHIZ
- Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) February 10, 2019 2:26pm "It's 2019 and the new excitement is AI; conversational computing is the new frontier," Will.i.am said during a press conference on the sidelines of the World Government Summit 2019 in Dubai.
Come May, Dubai will act as the launch pad for the Middle East's first AI-powered mobile application that will act as a "personal concierge" for users.
#Dubai to get AI-powered personal concierge https://t.co/DLWsg5GIlt
Video by Kelly Clarke/Khaleej Times #WorldGovernmentSummit pic.twitter.com/5lHldLoDfu
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 2:08pm The Prime Minister of Lebanon, Saad Hariri has a very optimistic view for his country's future. After nine months of being in a deadlock, the Lebanese government was formed a month ago and is now set to overcome its economic crisis and tackle its endemic corruption issues.
Deeply inspired by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum,Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai's book, Hariri said, "Sheikh Mohammed wrote in his book 'My Story - 50 stories of 50 years' that when he travelled to Lebanon, he was amazed and wanted to make Dubai like Lebanon. Now since I am in Dubai, I must say, I want Lebanon to become like Dubai."
Hariri has promised to build a new Lebanon that serves the needs of the youth across the region. He said, "We want to invest in the young men and women of Lebanon. And the region." He has also promised to relieve Lebanon of its chronic issues with shortage of electricity, and other utilities. He also said leaders in the region must get used to women taking up leading roles in their countries.
12:58pm ???? ?? ???? ???? ????? ????? ?? ???? ???? ?????? ?????? "???? ????: ???? ?? ??? ??????? ???? ??????? ????????"? ???? #?????_????????_???????? pic.twitter.com/d1kYgRGJss
- Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) February 10, 2019 HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum attends the Main Address 'A Conversation with Christine @Lagarde ', moderated by @RichardQuest at the #WorldGovSummit @hhshkmohd
- World Gov Summit (@WorldGovSummit) February 10, 2019 12:00pm Speaking at a high-level panel titled 'SDGs in Action 2019' during the World Government Summit, former secretary general of the United Nations Ban Ki-Moon said, "Leadership plays an absolutely crucial role in the formulation of policies that can lead to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This can also be achieved only at the highest level of governance." He advised that political and business community leaders have to look policies in a manner that no one will be left behind.
He also said UAE is a model example of initiation of good administration. "The UAE, from an oil-based economy, has transformed into a strong solar power state thanks to the talented leadership in the country. This kind of best practices must be shared so we can minimize challenges."
#BanKiMoon says, "When it comes to global issues, such as climate change and #SDGs , political leadership is critical." #WGS2019
Photo: Dhanusha Gokulan/KT pic.twitter.com/KV7lawJ6zN
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 11:05am Speaking at the World Government Summit (WGS) in Dubai on Sunday, Mohammad Abdullah Al Gergawi, Minister of Cabinet Affairs and the Future and Chairman of the WGS said the difference between "humans and AI is imagination".
"45 per cent of jobs in the future will change. As for the jobs that require creativity and creation of content, like design, arts, music, these are the jobs based on imagination and these are the jobs that will create a niche for human beings," he said.
45 per cent of jobs in the future will change: UAE minister https://t.co/y5aWqio5G9 pic.twitter.com/Lp3GzFvCy2
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 10:37am Dubai Municipality formally launched its new brand identity on Sunday, February 10 during the 7th World Government Summit. Director General of Dubai Municipality Eng. Dawood Abdulrahman Al Hajiri unveiled the new logo and said that Dubai Municipality's current logo had been launched in 1979, after the municipality headquarters moved to its current premises.
Dubai Municipality launches its new corporate identity https://t.co/hRi2o4mDS8 pic.twitter.com/jV2q3VV8hq
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum approves the new corporate identity for Dubai Municipality based on four core principles: competitiveness, innovation, responsibility and participation. Advancing towards new horizons @WorldGovSummit pic.twitter.com/MMRyDx6zp9
- ????? ??? (@DMunicipality) February 10, 2019 10:30am "In the future we will have around 30 billion smart devices in our cars, homes linking the world together. This will create huge investment opportunities for governments", said Mohammad Abdullah Al Gergawi, Minister of Cabinet Affairs and the Future
#WorldGovSummit : How will the #4IR impact cities? Professor Mohammed Abdullah Al Gergawi, Minister of Cabinet Affairs and the Future, and Professor Klaus Schwab,Founder, and Executive Chairman of @wef discuss on the first day of the summit. https://t.co/Q3snPOJWUo
Video: Dhes/KT pic.twitter.com/ui4mQC7Deo
- Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes) February 10, 2019 9:56am Prof. Klaus Schwab: We must move away from crisis management to constructive management in the age of Globalization 4.0. #WorldGovSummit pic.twitter.com/NdK2fUIrmV
- Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) February 10, 2019 Mohammed Al Gergawi reiterates the importance of teaching the next generation vital skill of creativity in this coming age of imagination. #WorldGovSummit pic.twitter.com/0N2TUp5ER3
- Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) February 10, 2019 Shaping the future of governments. Watch the livestream of the #WorldGovSummit 2019 https://t.co/jRFxaZhVez
- World Gov Summit (@WorldGovSummit) February 10, 2019 The @WorldGovSummit will hold 'The Forum for the Future of Humanitarian Work' in #Dubai for the first time to celebrate philanthropists https://t.co/VB4PSkBCnl #WorldGovSummit pic.twitter.com/d45uYCDbL6
- Dubai Tourism (@dubaitourism) February 10, 2019 #UAE Minister of Cabinet Affairs Mohammad Al Gergawi and @WEF founder Prof. Klaus Schwab speak on 'Globalization 4.0' on day 1 of the #WorldGovSummit pic.twitter.com/pset7F9AUq
- Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) February 10, 2019