( MENAFN Editorial )
Our forecasts for the South African freight transport sector are positive across all modes in 2015 - air road rail and through the country's ports. The economy will see a partial recovery from 2014's anaemic growth of 1.4% and we forecast a real expansion of 1.9% this year and in 2016. That said growth in freight volumes will not be particularly robust and there are significant downside risks to our projections not least from the mining sector and a potential hard landing in China. South Africa's freight transport sector is driven primarily by two forces: private consumption and the mining sector. Manufacturing industries play a limited role in the intermodal transport of containers but this is primarily driven by imports. Automotives production necessitates the transport of spare and intermediate parts.
Headline Industry Data
* Rail freight growth will be 0.9% in 2015 to 225.48mn tonnes.
* Road freight volumes are set to expand by 3.1% in 2015 to 582.56mn tonnes.
* Air freight volumes will expand by 2.3% to 1.52mn tonnes.
* 2015 total trade real growth is forecast at 4.0%. In nominal terms growth will decline by 3.4% to USD217.6bn.
Full Report Details at
We forecast real growth of 4.0% in South Africa's total trade in 2015 followed by a slight pick-up to 4.3% in 2015. This year this will be driven equally by imports and exports growth both projected at 4.0% while in 2016 exports will outpace imports expanding by 4.5% while imports growth will remain at 4.0%. However the real growth obscures the nominal picture where we envisage a decline in South Africa's total trade levels in nominal terms. We forecast that trade will total USD217.6bn in 2015 following a decline of 3.4%. This would mark the fourth consecutive year that nominal trade in the country declines.
We forecast a 3.1% expansion in South Africa's road haulage volumes in 2015 rising to 4.6% in 2016. Our slower rate of growth in 2015 is in large part predicated on statistical base effects...
The South Africa Freight Transport Report has been researched at source and features latest-available data covering commercial transport and logistics by road rail air and water; industry forecasts company rankings covering leading national and multinational operators; and analysis of latest industry trends opportunities projects and regulatory changes.
BMI Research's South Africa Freight Transport Report provides industry professionals and strategists sector analysts investors trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the South African freight transport and logistics industry.
* Benchmark BMI's independent freight transport industry forecasts on South Africa to test other views - a key input for successful budgetary and planning in the strategic freight transport market.
* Target business opportunities and risks in the South African freight transport sector through our reviews of latest industry trends regulatory changes and major deals projects and investments in South Africa.
* Assess the activities strategy and market position of your competitors partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI’s key industry forecasts views and trend analysis covering freight transport and logistics regulatory changes major investments and projects and significant national and multinational company developments.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major strengths weaknesses opportunities and threats within the freight transport sector and within the broader political economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Historic data series (2008-2012) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry and economic indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast including:
* Transport Sector: Total freight carried by road rail inland waterways maritime air and pipeline (mn tonnes-km/mn tonnes).
* Trade: Exports and imports (USDmn) by category of goods (manufactured goods food chemicals etc.); top five import and export trade partners (USDmn); imports/exports to each global region (USDmn)
* Port Data: Throughput (‘000 tonnes) for all major ports in the state.
* Oil Products Prices: Price forecasts for gasoline and aviation fuel (USD/bbl) at all major global energy trading hubs.
* Economic Indicators: Nominal GDP (USDbn); real GDP growth (%); GDP per capita (USD); industrial production (%); unemployment (%)
Details of the freight infrastructure in each state by segment (road rail air water and pipelines). Full analysis of the competitive landscape within each segment.
Industry Trends and Developments
Analysis of the latest projects across the freight transport sector (road rail air sea and logistics) including a market overview which provides an outline of the key elements driving development.
The Freight Transport market reports contain a chapter detailing the political outlook of a given region examining the domestic politics long-term outlook and foreign policy and assessing the impact this could have on freight and transport businesses.
Examines the short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Freight Transport reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources such as multilateral organisations government departments industry associations chambers and company reports
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports please visit our website at or call us at 1.800.844.8156 (1.413.485.7001 Int'l)
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.