Qatar Assures Highest Level Of Security For World Cup| MENAFN.COM

Thursday, 30 June 2022 01:09 GMT

Qatar Assures Highest Level Of Security For World Cup


(MENAFN- The Peninsula) Ayeni Olusegun | The Peninsula

Doha: Qatar will host a safe and secure FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, Major General Eng. Abdul Aziz Abdullah Al Ansari, Chairman of the Safety & Security Operations Committee (SSOC) for Qatar 2022, told delegates during the opening of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Security Last-Mile Conference, at InterContinental Doha, yesterday.

The opening day of the two-day conference was attended by Prime Minister and Minister of Interior H E Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani and Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State for Defence Affairs H E Dr. Khalid bin Mohamed Al Attiyah. 

“This conference comes a few months before the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 as a continuation of international coordination and cooperation efforts and the exchange of experiences between various countries and security authorities. It affirms the joint responsibility in achieving the highest security and safety standards during the World Cup,” Maj. Gen Al Ansari said.

Maj Gen Al Ansari mentioned last year's FIFA Arab Cup hosted by Qatar, a momentous occasion to measure the security, logistical and organisational readiness for a major football tournament.

Qatari and Belgian officials signing a joint declaration to exchange information on the sidelines of the conference.

“Qatar has acquired the highest security levels and currently ranked as one of the most secured countries with low crime rates. Qatar has also developed its security protocols seen in events hosted, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. We were pleased by the feedback from participating countries in the last few events we have hosted, which will help us present a safe World Cup,” he added.

On the other hand, Helmut Spahn, FIFA Director of Security, said the uniqueness of Qatar 2022 being a compact tournament poses a challenge for the football body; however, FIFA is comfortable with Qatar's preparation and security plan for the World Cup. He disclosed that the safety and security plans for the World Cup have already been signed off, stating,“this is down to the professional preparedness which could only be achieved by the Qatar authorities and other international law enforcement that are working closely together.”

“Every country delivering a major event faces different challenges and circumstances. In Germany (2006), South Africa (2010), Brazil (2014), and Russia (2018), the risks and threats are completely different. In previous tournaments, we have had terrorism threats before the tournaments, insecurity in some places, late infrastructure completion, and sometimes stadiums were not ready in time, hooliganism, and violence, but this will not be the case in Qatar,” Spahn said. 

Read Also
  • First permit to visit concentrations of whale sharks issued
  • Qatar University signs MoU with Spanish
  • No case of monkeypox recorded in Qatar: Ministry

Authorities expect over one million fans to attend the football fiesta from November 21 to December 18, with the longest distance between the two stadiums about 70 kilometres.

“But we have one unique situation and challenges in Qatar, and this is the compact nature of this tournament. This is the first time in history that we will have all the teams and delegation and fans together in one place. It is a challenge, but it is a big opportunity to have a big fest with fans from all over the world together in one place. We need to exchange ideas and help each other make this event a success,” he stressed. 

The FIFA security head noted that holding this conference less than 183 days before the main event kicks off shows the importance of coordination and collaboration between international law enforcement agencies to ensure a safe and successful event.

“We have some difficult and complicated times ahead, but we will manage it. Qatar remains one of the most peaceful countries globally, and with Qatar's plan, we will have a safe and secure event for everyone,' he said. 

Helmut Spahn, FIFA Director of Security, added: FIFA hopes that this conference provides the international community with a greater understanding of how the safety and security authorities and organisations of FIFA and Qatar are working to ensure the safety and organisation of Qatar 2022.” 

On the sidelines of the conference, Qatar signed a joint declaration on the International Police Cooperation Centre (IPCC) with several countries and security agencies to exchange information.

MENAFN23052022000063011010ID1104255940


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.