(MENAFN- Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)) ALGIERS, May 18 (KUNA) -- Dar Mustapha Pacha, a palace located in Casabah of Algiers near Ketchaoua Mosque, is a marvel of Islamic architecture, built between 1798 and 1799 by Dey Mustapha Pacha.
The palace, decorated with arches and beamed ceilings, witnessed the rise and fall of several leaders in the country.
Mustapha Pacha resided in the Dar with his family, servants and bodyguards, as well as used it to host high profile guests until his assassination in 1805.
French colonizing forces took over the palace and utilized it for various purposes including as headquarters for light infantry, and a winter palace for French governor in Algeria.
The French government reverted it to a library and museum in 1863, but in 1897 the contents of the palace were moved to the national museum.
The palace currently houses the National Museum of Miniatures, Illumination and Calligraphy.
In December of 1992, the palace, along with all of Casabah of Algiers monuments, was listed as a UNESCO heritage site. (end)
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.