Ask the Consul: US Embassy Doha answers common queries (Part...| MENAFN.COM

Saturday, 22 January 2022 10:58 GMT

Ask the Consul: US Embassy Doha answers common queries (Part 2)

(MENAFN- The Peninsula) The Peninsula

In this column, US Embassy's Consular Section is giving answers to questions asked by travellers who intend to travel to the US and have queries about visas and other consular services, particularly the travel policies related to COVID-19.

Q. What are the new travel requirements for the United States?
A. Effective November 8 all non-citizen, nonimmigrant airline passengers (not a US citizen, US national, lawful permanent resident, or immigrant visa holder) traveling to the United States must demonstrate proof of vaccination as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Order prior to boarding a US bound aircraft.
Before planning any travel, we recommend visiting the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) website detailing requirements and the Department of State's FAQ page on the changes. You may also find it helpful to take the CDC's travel assessment quiz.

Q. I am interested in studying in the United States. Is it difficult to get a student visa?
A. Embassy Doha welcomes all qualified students to apply for a student visa. We prioritise student visa appointments to ensure that students can arrive in the United States in time for their program. Before applying for a visa, all student visa applicants are required to be accepted and approved by their school or program. Once accepted, educational institutions will provide each applicant the necessary approval documentation to be submitted when applying for a student visa.

Q. My child will study in the United States, and I want to accompany them or visit them. What type of visa should I apply for?
A. If your primary purpose of travel is to accompany or visit your child at university, you should apply for a B1/B2 tourist visa. You can read more about our visa categories at Q. I recently tried to make a visa appointment, but there was no availability on the day I would like. What can I do?
A. We try to make as many visa appointments available each day as we can. Some days fill up earlier than others. New appointments may become available as people change their appointment dates or we able to open more interview appointments. We recommend that applicants looking for an appointment slot regularly check the website ( for availability. We expedite appointments for students, urgent business travel, medical emergencies, and humanitarian reasons.

Q. I have a valid US visa in my expired passport. Can I still use it to travel to the US, or do I need to apply for a new one?
A. If your US visa is still valid, you do not need to apply for a new visa. You need to bring your old passport and your current passport with you when you travel.
If you have changed your name and you have a new passport issued in your new name, and your previous name is reflected on your current, valid US visa, you need to apply for a US visa in your new name.


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.