Tuesday, 20 August 2019 04:14 GMT
img

Mexico 'not ready for deal with US over immigrants'




(MENAFN - Gulf Times) Mexico has told the US time and again it is not ready to ink a deal forcing asylum seekers heading to the US to first pursue safe haven in a Mexico, the Mexican ambassador to Washington said yesterday, ahead of a Monday deadline.
Martha Barcena rejected the so-called 'safe third country agreement days before the clock runs out on a deal struck with US President Donald Trump in June.
Under that commitment, Mexico averted punitive tariffs by promising to stem the flow of illegal migrants from Central America by July 22. If it failed, Latin America's second largest economy would have to accept safe-third-country status.
'We have said once and again that we are not ready to sign any such agreement, Barcena said at an event in Washington, D.C.
Her comments come days before Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard is slated to meet his US counterpart Mike Pompeo in Mexico City this weekend to discuss migration and trade.
Barcena also urged Washington to speed up its processing of asylum claims.
A recent Trump administration policy requires people seeking protection in the US to wait for their US court dates in Mexican border towns, part of his hard line stance to halt migration. 'You cannot leave the people waiting in Mexico for three years, she said.
Trump pledged to build a wall on the southern border with Mexico in his 2016 run for office, and has since fought with Congress and in the courts for funding to pay for the barrier.
On Monday, he touted weekend raids aimed at immigrants who had been ordered deported, as his administration seeks to deter a surge in Central American families seeking asylum in the US after fleeing poverty and gang violence in their home countries.
The administration also announced sweeping new asylum rules on Monday that bar almost all immigrants from applying for asylum at the US-Mexico border by requiring them to first pursue safe haven in a third country through which they had travelled on the way to the US.
Barcena yesterday described the move as 'unilateral, noting the Mexican government does not support it and interprets the rules as not sending migrants to Mexico but rather to their countries of origin.
Meanwhile, acting secretary of Homeland Security, Kevin McAleenan, told Congress the deal reached last month between the US and Mexico is having a 'dramatic impact in reducing migrationto the US.
However, despite a sharp reduction, people continue to cross the border and that the US system is overwhelmed, he added.
Mexico began deploying troops and taking other measures to reduce northwards migration last month, after Trump threatened to impose tariffs.

MENAFN1807201900670000ID1098775553


Mexico 'not ready for deal with US over immigrants'

Authors_Square_PromoteArticle_Ink2019

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month