(MENAFN - The Peninsula) The Peninsula
Doha: The Museum of Islamic Art (MIA) is organising a week of public events to celebrate its 10-year anniversary. When it opened in 2008, MIA was the first of the major capital developments and flagship projects initiated by Qatar Museums. Designed by the great Chinese American architect, I M Pei, MIA showcases Qatar's world-class collections of Islamic art stretching over 1,400 years to the present day.
The events will consist of movie screenings, curator tours and calligraphy and painting workshops, among other activities.
- I M Pei movie screening of 'Learning from Light, every day (except Wednesday) from Dec 2 Dec 12 at the MIA Auditorium, at 10:30am and 4:00pm.
- Curator-led tours on Sunday, Dec 2, Monday Dec 3 , Tuesday, Dec 4 and Wednesday, Dec 5 at 11:00am.
- Conservation-led tours on Thursday, Dec 6, Sunday, Dec 9 and Monday, Dec 10 at 11:00am.
- Celebration activities at the MIA Library on Saturday, Dec 8 from 10:00am-4:00pm.
- Ottoman design workshop on Saturday, Dec 8 from 11:00am-1:00pm.
- Acrylic painting workshops on Friday, Dec 7 and Saturday, Dec 8 from 12:00-6:00pm.
- MIA architecture guided tour on Thursday, Dec 6 at 2:30pm.
- Guided tour on 'Science in Art on Monday, Dec 3 and Monday, Dec 10 at 2:30pm.
- Permanent gallery tours on Friday, Dec 7 and Saturday, Dec 8 at 2:30pm.
- Weavers for children workshop on Tuesday, Dec 4 and Wednesday, Dec 5 at 4:30pm.
- 12-fold rosette workshop on Sunday, Dec 2 and Monday, Dec 3 at 4:30pm.
- Paper recycling workshop on Sunday, Dec 2 through Wednesday, Dec 5 at 4:30pm.
- Diwani Workshop for Women on Sunday, Dec 2 , Monday, Dec 3, Wednesday, Dec 5 , Thursday, Dec 6, Sunday, Dec 9 and Monday, Dec 10 at 5:00pm.
For more details and to reserve a space visit the MIA website at: http://www.mia.org.qa/en/whats-on