(MENAFN - Gulf Times) The Saudi-led coalition has launched airstrikes on an airbase near the international airport in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, state-run Saudi media reported early Friday.
Coalition forces attacked al-Dulaimi Air Base which was being used by Houthi rebels to launch ballistic missiles, spokesman Turki al-Malki said.
Local residents said the base was hit by about 20 airstrikes.
Sanaa International Airport was still open to the United Nations and other air relief operations, according to al-Malki.
Yemen, one of the Arab world's poorest countries, has been embroiled in a power struggle between a Saudi-backedgovernment and Iran-linked Houthi rebels since late 2014, with devastating consequences for civilians.
Earlier this month, the UN'srelief chief warned that the country was in danger of being engulfed by an "imminent and great big famine" that could affect 14 million people, or around half the population.
Saudi Arabia has been much criticized for the civilian death toll in the conflict and its role has recently come under renewed scrutiny amid the controversy over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in its consulate in Istanbul.
Observers say his killing could not have been carried out without the approval of de facto Saudi leader Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, who is also the mastermind behind the Yemen campaign.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo this week called for all sides to lay down their arms, and for the Saudi-led coalition to end strikes in populated areas.