Complete guide: How to sponsor your husband or wife in Dubai

(MENAFN- Khaleej Times) If you work inDubai and are unaware how to sponsor your spouse, help is at hand. You can follow some of the simple steps (described below) to sponsor your wife/husband.

Husband sponsoring wife A resident employed in the UAE can sponsor his wife and children, subject to conditions which include minimum salary of Dh4,000 or Dh3,000 plus accommodation.

Sponsoring more than one wife

A Muslim resident may be allowed to sponsor his two wives, if he meets certain terms and conditions set by the respective GDRFA.

Wife sponsoring husband Basic category

A wife may sponsor her husband and children if she is earning a basic salary of Dh3,000 plus accommodation or a total salary of Dh4,000 without accommodation if she is a teacher or in any role in the medical sector. ()

Other category

For woman employed in other category, she may still get approval to sponsor her family if her monthly salary is more than Dh10,000 and with a special permission from the DNRD.

Note: The prevailing regulations in the UAE do not allow a husband to be employed while he is under the sponsorship of his wife. Therefore, upon securing employment in the UAE, the husband will have to from the employer.

Mother sponsoring children A woman can sponsor her children if she holds a residence permit and her monthly salary is not less than Dh10,000 or Dh8,000 plus accommodation. She should have a valid Ejari tenancy contract for her accommodation. She needs to provide additional documents as stipulated by the respective authority.

Further, she will also need to secure a letter of no-objection or NOC from the husband stating that he has no objections with children staying with mother under her sponsorship. The NOC should also be duly notarised and legalised from the home country. She needs to provide additional documents as stipulated by the respective authority.

A single mother can sponsor her child. The authorities might ask for documents similar to those required to sponsor stepchildren.

Sponsoring children above 18

An expatriate resident can sponsor his daughter/s only if she/they is/are unmarried. He can sponsor his son/s only up to the age of 18. If after the age of 18, the son is studying in the UAE or abroad, he can be sponsored until the age of 21 on providing the proof that he is studying.

However, for his residence visa to stay valid, he has to enter the UAE at least once every six months. The resident will need to place a deposit with the respective GDRFA for his son's visa. The residence visa is granted on a yearly basis, renewable until the person finishes his education.

Sponsoring stepchildren

An expatriate resident can also sponsor his/her stepchildren, subject to GDRFA's conditions which include a deposit for each child and a written no-objection certificate from the biological parent. Their residence visas are valid for one year; renewable annually.

Documents Required: The conditions are subject to change from time to time.

Kindly check with GDRFA of the respective emirate. Below are links to the local GDRFA offices:


Khaleej Times

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.