Wednesday, 21 March 2018 07:15 GMT

Wall Street Journal says Saudi Crown Prince behind MBC's Turkish dramas ban

(MENAFN) A report by the Wall Street Journal that Turkey-based website YeniSafak quoted said that the reason behind Saudi Arabia's recent ban of Turkish dramas is the Crow Prince Mohammad bin Salman.

According to the report, the real reason behind Salman's decision was Ankara's continuous support for neighboring Qatar, which is still under a blockade by a Saudi-led quartet.

The pan-Arab Dubai-based Middle East Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) announced last week that its affiliated television channels had banned broadcasting Turkish TV serials.

MBC confirmed to The National, an English news service based in Abu Dhabi, that the broadcaster was ordered to remove all Turkish programs from its channels until further notice.

"There is a decision that concerns several media outlets in many Arab countries that Turkish dramas are to be taken off air, including MBC. That was from 1 a.m. Saudi Arabian time on March 2," said MBC spokesman Mazen Hayek.

In early June, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain severed diplomatic and trade ties with Qatar, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism and destabilizing the Middle East, while Qatar denied the accusations, describing attempts to diplomatically isolate it as a violation of international law and its national sovereignty.


Wall Street Journal says Saudi Crown Prince behind MBC's Turkish dramas ban

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month