Quotes: MENA   Enter Symbol: NewsLetter: Search: advanced

Morocco advises against hajj due to MERS threat  Join our daily free Newsletter

MENAFN - AFP - 18/06/2014
No. of Ratings : 0
Add to Mixx!

(MENAFN - AFP) Morocco's health minister has advised the country's Muslim faithful against making pilgrimages to Saudi Arabia this year, with the deadly MERS virus having killed nearly 300 people there so far.

Last week, the health ministry urged the sick and the frail to postpone any planned pilgrimages until 2015, and circulated among those determined to go information on the health risks from the virus.

Speaking in parliament Tuesday, Lahoucine Louardi appeared to revise his ministry's advice, extending it to all Moroccans planning the hajj this year.

"We advise pilgrims not to travel to the Holy Sites," he said, quoted by the official MAP news agency, saying the decision was taken "after consultations with several parties, in particular the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Arab health ministers."

Mers "is a dangerous disease that kills one in three people infected," he said, adding that there was no antidot for it.

Contacted by AFP, a source at the health ministry confirmed the recommendation, while insisting that it did not amount to a ban.

According to official statistics, Morocco has an annual quota for 2014 of 25,600 pilgrims, which is strictly controlled.

Millions of people visit the Islamic holy sites in Saudi Arabia for the hajj, a pilgrimage all Muslims are expected to make at least once if their health and finances permit.

This year it takes place in October.

The lesser umrah pilgrimage may be performed throughout the year.

The desert kingdom has been the country worst affected by MERS, with 284 people killed there since it first emerged in April 2012, and hundreds more infected.

The WHO said Tuesday that, while a surge in MERS cases had receded, the situation remained of concern, "especially given the anticipated increase in travel to Saudi Arabia related to umrah, Ramadan and the hajj."



  MENA News Headlines
 Oct 27 2016 -  Pakistan's Habib Bank marks 75 years aims to build on long historyMuscat Daily
(MENAFN - Muscat Daily) Muscat- Pakistan's first and largest bank, Habib Bank Limited (HBL), celebrated its 75th anniversary at Al Falaj Hotel on Wednesday. HBL was formed in 1941 and has ...

 Oct 27 2016 - SAF Chief of Staff receives British military officialMuscat Daily
(MENAFN - Muscat Daily) Muscat- Lt Gen Ahmed bin Harith al Nabhani, Chief of Staff of the Sultan's Armed Forces (SAF) received on Wednesday Maj Gen Stuart Skeates, Standing Joint Force Commander of ...

 Oct 27 2016 -  UAE Deputy Prime Minister arrives in MuscatMuscat Daily
(MENAFN - Muscat Daily) Muscat- Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan, UAE Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs, arrived on a two-day visit to the Sultanate. He was received ...

 Oct 27 2016 - Oman- Phase two of Tanfeedh ends results to be made public from Nov 20-22Muscat Daily
(MENAFN - Muscat Daily) Muscat- Tanfeedh participants on Wednesday completed six weeks of hardwork to create a draft roadmap of Oman's economic diversification strategy. Participants gathered at ...

 Oct 27 2016 - Eight Omanis to embark on a 20,000km road trip to Rwanda and TanzaniaMuscat Daily
(MENAFN - Muscat Daily) Muscat- A group of eight Omanis will begin a journey to retrace Oman's historical and cultural roots in Africa by driving from Muscat to Kigali in Rwanda and then Dar es ...

 Oct 27 2016 -  HEAD-TO-HEAD-TO-HEAD: PS4 Pro vs Xbox 'Project Scorpio' vs Nintendo SwitchKhaleej Times
(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Remember this article? While it only discussed Nintendo's console history, it was a bit gratifying that I was able to use words like "party", "rumble" and "brawl" to ...

 Oct 27 2016 - After Note 7, now Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge explodes in USKhaleej Times
(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) After the Note 7 fiasco, a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge owner in the US has claimed that the device which he received as a replacement for the Note 7 exploded while charging. ...

 Oct 27 2016 -  527 South Koreans sue Samsung over Note7 recallKhaleej Times
(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Hundreds of South Korean Galaxy Note 7 smartphone owners filed a lawsuit against Samsung Electronics on Monday over its handling of the fire-prone device. Attorney Peter ...

 Oct 27 2016 - Blurring effect comes to iPhone 7 Plus with software updateKhaleej Times
(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Apple's iPhone 7 Plus is getting a new camera capability - the blurring of backgrounds to focus attention on people or other objects in the foreground. Apple first ...

 Oct 27 2016 -  WhatsApp now has video calling but...Khaleej Times
(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) After giving WhatsApp that Snapchat feel, Facebook has rolled out a new feature to the world's most-used messaging app: video calling. And we were more than happy to check ...





Middle East North Africa - Financial Network

MENAFN News Market Data Countries Tools Section  

Middle East North Africa - Financial Network

Main News
News By Industry
News By Country

Search News
Market Indices
Quotes & Charts

Global Indices
Arab Indices


Oil & Energy

Currencies Cross Rates
Currencies Updates
Currency Converter

USA Stocks
Arab Stocks

Saudi Arabia 

Economic Calendar
Financial Glossary

Financial Calculators

RSS Feeds [XML]

Corporate Monitor


Real Estate
Submit Your Property

Arab Research
Buy a Research

Press Releases
Submit your PR

Join Newsletters

© 2014 menafn.com All Rights Reserved.  Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Advertise | About MENAFN | Career Opportunities | Feedback | Help